"Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”Matthew 28:19-20
Saint James' Church exists...
to restore all people to God, and to each other, through sacramental worship and Christ-like living.
Who we are:
We are a parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas, and a member of the worldwide Anglican Communion, an authentic branch of God's one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.
Local Episcopalians met on October 30, 1876 to begin organizing the Parish, and we have been serving the greater Texarkana area faithfully at the corner of 5th Street and Olive Street ever since.
Our members are from all walks of life, and many different backgrounds. We have both "cradle" Episcopalians, as well as many who have come to the Episcopal Church from different faith backgrounds, and some who had no previous history with God or his Church. We welcome all who come with a sincere desire to worship God and learn about him.
St James' Church is committed to excellence in ministry, building on these foundational values:
Under the Lordship of Jesus Christ,
- We are committed to an evangelical and catholic expression of the Anglican tradition, and openness to the transforming power of the Holy Spirit. We value our membership in the worldwide Anglican Communion.
- We place a high value on excellence in liturgy, music and preaching.
- We are pastorally connected. We give and receive pastoral care as individual Christians, and through the various groups who minister here. We value the quality of our common life.
- We are a learning church. Through Christian education for all ages, we seek to know the mind and will of God.
- We reach out to our community, both as a parish and as individual Christians, seeking to show the love of Christ to all, and to welcome others into his Kingdom.
What you can expect from us:
- We promise to receive you in Christ’s name.
- We will honor the gifts you bring.
- We will invite you into our common life, or wish you well if you choose another path.
- We promise we won’t discourage your questions or insult your intelligence.
- We will make the life of faith joyful.
- We will nourish the hunger and hope for God that is in us all.